You are here

Registering a Foreign Judgment

For Registration of Judgment from Another District

Counsel must submit an original of the following (28 U.S.C. § 1963):

  • A Certificate of Judgment form (AO 451) from the U.S. District Court where the judgment originated, or in the alternative, an order from said court directing the Clerk to register such;
  • A certified copy of the judgment from the originating U.S. District Court; and,
  • A filing fee of $52.00 made payable to the Clerk, United States District Court.

If an attorney requests a copy of the judgment registered in our district, he/she will be required to provide the Clerk's Office with an additional copy. The copy will be file stamped and contain a miscellaneous case number.

To Certify a Judgment for Registration in Another District

Counsel must submit the following materials:

  • A written request for the preparation of a Certificate of Judgment for Registration in another District;
  • A fee of $12.00 for the certification plus $.50 per page for the judgment to be copied. Reproduction of the judgment must be done by the court; and
  • Provide a return envelope or a telephone number to contact when the certificate is completed.