New processes begin 3/4/2020
Review the Updated CM/ECF Administrative Guide for more information regarding the filing of sealed documents;
Ex Parte documents and docket text will ONLY be available to the filing party. The filing party attorneys will receive a NEF.
When a sealed document is filed in a public civil case, notice will be sent to any active attorney in the case. The public will be able to view the docket entry but not the document. Once the Court grants sealed privileges to counsel, all active attorneys in the public civil case will be able to view the document(s). Below is a brief summary of OKED's procedure regarding the filing of documents under seal (in public civil cases):
- Motion Request: A party filing a Motion for Leave to File Documents Under Seal in a public civil case must file that motion electronically in CM/ECF. The motion should attach the proposed sealed document and provide general information regarding why such documents should be filed under seal. The filer should not attach exhibits for the proposed document unless otherwise directed by the Court.
- Proposed Order: The party must email a proposed order to the Court's Intake box at: CM-ECFIntake_oked@oked.uscourts.gov
- Provision to Other Parties: The filing party must simultaneously provide the document(s) it requests to be filed under seal and the Motion for Leave to File Documents Under Seal to all other parties in the case.
- Order on Motion for Leave to File Documents Under Seal:
- Order Granting Leave: If the Court grants the Motion for Leave to File Under Seal, the assigned judge will enter electronically an order authorizing the filing of the document(s) under seal. The assigned judge will also direct the Clerk to grant access to all attorneys who have entered an appearance in the case (and whose appearance has not been terminated) the ability to file and view sealed documents in that case (assuming this access has not previously been granted). The filing party may then file its document(s) under seal.
- Order Denying Leave: If the Court denies the Motion for Leave to File Under Seal, the assigned judge will enter electronically an order denying the filing of the document(s) under seal
- Termination of Attorney Sealed Access: Attorney access to sealed documents in a case will be terminated when the attorney withdraws from the case or requests termination of such access to the sealed documents.
SEALED & EX PARTE FILING INSTRUCTIONS (Attorneys)