You are here

Requests to be Excused

All requests must be in writing and may be sent via mail, fax or email.  See our contact information below.  When you submit your request, please fully explain your situation and state whether you would like to postpone your service to another jury term or be excused permanently.  You will be notified of the Court's decision within a few days.



Requesting a Temporary Excuse

Temporary excuses, also known as deferrals, can be granted for many types of temporary hardships such as prior vacation plans, temporary medical problems and/or convalescence, students who are away at college, economic or family hardships, etc.

Requesting a Permanent Excuse

You can request a permanent excuse if you meet one of the following conditions:

  • if you are over 70 years of age
  • if you are disabled with a permanent or chronic condition (and send us a doctor's statement)
  • if you have already served as a grand or petit juror in a federal court within the last two years
  • if you have active care and custody of a child or children under the age of ten (10) whose health and/or safety would be jeopardized by your absence for jury service
  • if you are a person who is essential to the care of aged or infirm persons
  • if your services are so essential to the operation of a business, commercial, or agricultural enterprise that said enterprise must close if you are required to perform jury duty
  • if you are actively practicing or engaged full-time as an attorney or physician
  • if you are a student in actual attendance at a university, college, academy or other school having a regular schedule of classes
  • if you serve a public agency in an official capacity, without compensation, as a volunteer firefighter or a member of a rescue squad or ambulance crew


Mail:           Fax:           Email:
Jury Administrator      (918) 684-7902 
U.S. District Court
P.O. Box 607
Muskogee, OK  74402